Monday, December 9, 2013

{Thanksgiving: Hits & Misses}


Thanksgiving has come and gone in a flurry, but like most holidays, there was definitely a share of good food involved.

I was feeling adventurous this year, so for my contribution to the Thanksgiving meal I tried a couple of new recipes....thank you, Pinterest.

Here are my hits & misses from this holiday -


Coconut Pecan Sweet Potatoes by Simple Bites were my first choice, because I love both pecans and coconut, and could throw everything in the crockpot.  While the recipe was great in concept, I felt like I had to do a lot of extra to make it acceptable for the dinner table.  After the cooking time, I still wasn't able to mash the potatoes enough, so I added water and microwaved them for a couple minutes and then got out my hand beaters, attempting to make them a bit fluffier.   I also mixed in more brown sugar, butter, and toppings.
Since I had to transport this, I used a large glass bowl and layered potatoes with covering of pecans & coconut, more potatoes, etc, so there was plenty of tastiness in every serving, in addition to mixing a bunch in when I whipped them.   I considered this recipe neutral -- not sure I would make it again, but I didn't get any to take home as leftovers because apparently everybody else snatched them up!


Pumpkin Swirl Chocolate Brownies by Comfort of Cooking won out for dessert....although they probably shouldn't have.   I followed the recipe exactly, except that I doubled it, which maybe caused a problem.   The pumpkin flavor didn't stand out AT ALL, and the brownie was really dense and dry, even with the cream cheese.  Being the brownie-hound that I am, I was incredibly disappointed in this recipe and would definitely call it a miss.



We were sent home various containers of leftovers, and since we're not huge fans of having Thanksgiving dinner all over again, I decided to be more creative this year on how to use up the extra Turkey.  Folks, we have some winners!

Chicken Kisses by Shugary Sweets was an easy and scrumptious meal.   I didn't want to use pre made crescent rolls, so I made my own, which obviously made the recipe more time consuming.  We had leftover turkey and gravy, so once the dough was ready, this was easy to throw together.  The leftover "kisses" warmed up great in the oven.  I'll definitely be keeping this recipe for my collection; it was a real hit!

Turkey Tetrazzini by The Pioneer Woman was the base recipe I used, and then added and subtracted the "filler" ingredients to fit our personal taste.  Another great way to use up leftover turkey, and can easily be frozen for an easy dinner on a wintery night.   This was a huge hit!

Did you try any new recipes that were a huge hit this Thanksgiving?







No comments:

Post a Comment