Monday, October 14, 2013

{Get Your Shoes On}

Let's get one thing straight right now:  I do not like to exercise.

It's boring, I don't get in the "zone," I'm not very coordinated, I don't like to sweat, I have issues with my feet, and honestly I've always had a hard time being disciplined enough to make it a consistent priority.

source

I've had numerous good intentions over the years, but nothing ever seems to last longer than a few weeks or months.  I get frustrated, not see instant results (tell me I'm not the only one who struggles with that...), or simply get bored and quit.

Biking, Pilates, circuit training, The Shred, dozens of workout dvd's, and the list could go on.  I feel like I've tried it all.

I love reading blogs by Jo-Lynne at Musings of a Housewife, Angela at Oh She Glows, or Tracy at Then I Got To Thinking but when the fitness posts would come, I would alternate between feeling inspired or just glazing over because I couldn't relate, or didn't want to think about the fact that "I should be working out but am too lazy or just not disciplined enough to make the time."

Then one day I randomly decided I wanted to try running.   I'm honestly not sure what sparked my sudden interest, but maybe months of skimming those running blog posts effected my subconscious (thanks, ladies!).  I started doing lots of research online, and polling all my runner friends for their best tips.  My husband would find me curled up on the couch reading the Runner's World blog and spewing random information on preventing shin splints.

Like many other things in life, it is easier to research than it is to execute.

Walt Disney wasn't a fan of that mentality, and clearly stated his position on execution this way:

source

I guess that meant I needed to get my rear of the couch and start doing.

The day I started the Couch to 5k program was monumental for me.

Due to Erythromelagia in my feet, running was something I never dreamed I could do, or would even attempt.  I started developing this theory that if I could walk for 30 
minutes in discomfort (which I did fairly regularly), I could run for 30 minutes in the same discomfort and burn way more calories.  Worth a shot, right?  I was obviously trying to find a way to talk myself into trying this.  

So I started. 

August 17, 2013
Couch to 5k, Day 1

Brisk five-minute warmup walk.   Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.  End with a five-minute walk to cool down.



The shock for me came when I realized that running didn't make my feet any worse than walking did. I was spending so much time concentrating on my breathing, sore calves, and trying to survive the running portions that I didn't even think about the fact my feet were on fire in my shoes.  

This is how the journey began!

Anybody else want to join in the fun?



PS - 
Now those fitness posts are some of my favorites to read!

No comments:

Post a Comment