Monday, June 23, 2014

{Braver Than You Think}




 Brave people are all around us, but sometimes unless they make the headlines or evening news we are too blind to see them.  

A few weeks ago I met a young woman who called off her wedding just weeks before the big day.  The dress was fitted, church booked, honeymoon planned, but her soul was unsettled.  Her eyes became glassy as she shared with me how hard it was to call it off.   How she longed to be married but felt there were too many questions in her mind to make it down the aisle.  Maybe he wasn't really her Prince Charming.

shop
I told her she was brave and how I admired the courage it took for her to do that.  Some people would have felt too guilty to cancel the wedding and would have gone through with it anyway.  After all, people had already given gifts and planned celebrations.   Though she may question now the reason she had to experience such pain and loss, we both know God has a greater plan and ultimately she will be a stronger and wiser person for having gone through this. 

The talented designer, Lisa Leonard, has a bracelet in her shop right now that is a beautiful reminder to be BRAVE.  Brave, even when we don't feel like it.  Brave, even when guilt and expectations try to creep in.

We can be brave... not in of ourselves, but because with God on my side, whom shall I fear?  365 times the Bible says not to be afraid.  Think He was trying to get a point across?   So with that in mind, we must press on, bravely, with God as our strength and shield.

I’ve been doing all that I can
To hold it all together
Piece by piece.
I’ve been feeling like a failure,
Trying to be braver
Than I could ever be.
It’s just not me.
So be my healer, be my comfort, be my peace.
Cause I can be broken, I can be needy,
Lord I need You now to be,
Be my God, so I can just be me.
- Laura Story


No comments:

Post a Comment